↠ Ingredients ↞
Makes 4 servings
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 cup of aquafaba*
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup of dark (70% cacao) vegan chocolate
- Splash of milk (optional)
*What is Aquafaba? Funky word isn’t it!? It’s the viscous water in which the chickpeas have been cooked. Due to its ability to mimic functional properties of egg whites in cooking, aquafaba can be used as a direct replacement in some cases, including meringues and marshmallows! You can make homemade aquafaba – or as a shortcut – simply use the liquid from the chickpea can.
↠ Method ↞
- Melt chocolate into a water bath. For that you need to fill a large pan with boiling-hot water, then place a smaller pan on top. The water from the larger pan should reach about halfway up the side of the smaller pan. Then, you place the chocolate in the smaller pan with the plant milk, slowly letting the two ingredients melt into each other as you gently whisk them. When the mix is ready, take the smaller pan out from the bath and set it aside to cool.
- Open and drain the can of chickpeas into a clean, dry metal bowl. Reserve the chickpeas for later; you could use them on a salad or for making hummus!
- Add the lemon juice to the drained liquid. Using an electric mixer on high speed, mix for at least 10 minutes or until you get stiff peaks. You can not over-mix aquafaba like with with egg whites, so be confident to mix it until it feels fluffy enough.
- By now the chocolate should be cool enough to start mixing in with your aquafaba. To do this, use a silicone spatula and slowly combine the mix until you reach a pourable consistency.
- Divide the mixture into 4 glasses and place them into the fridge for minimum 4 hours.
Love this recipe and want more? Find more monthly recipes and nutrition guides in The Salty Club. First week free. $9.99 a month after that. Cancel anytime. Try it today >> HERE <<